The political mission of DAP is to fight for democracy, freedom and social justice. At this point, the biggest challenge is to deny BN’s 2/3 parliamentary majority. This is in order to break the BN’s political hegemony and compel BN to heed public aspiration to abolish repressive laws, eradicate corruption, ensure fair treatment to all races and maintain public safety and security.
Lack of public safety, unfettered corruption, ethnic inequality, a shackled judicial system, suppression of press freedom, economic hardship - such is the state of affairs of the nation now.
This is the result of giving too much power to BN. As it is, BN is already so powerful and arrogant. Are you still willing to let yourself and generations to come continue to suffer this misfortune?
This is the reason why DAP came up with the slogan: JUST CHANGE IT!, in the hope that all Malaysians will collectively exercise their right to vote for a change so that each of us, our family, society and nation can prosper.
Everyone should feel safe to step out of their house without fear, women need not be afraid of rape and molest, children would not disappear without a trace, having a good night’s sleep without worries, no bribe-taking by police and officials, no wanton price hike in privatized public amenities, freedom to publish news, fair treatment given to vernacular education - this is the real meaning of prosperity for every Malaysian. I believe this is what each of us dream of and aspire towards. All we need to do is to vote to break the 2/3 majority of BN and bring winds of change to the nation.
Bukit Bintang constituency has always been a DAP stronghold and we cannot let it fall into the hands of BN. Since BN cannot win if there is a fair contest, they have to resort to unethical means. To wrest this seat away from DAP, BN has resorted to increase the number of postal votes to 5510 although Bukit Bintang is not essentially an army base area. We should not let police and army votes determine the outcome.
Clearly, BN is the single greatest threat to democratic freedom. In order to prosper, we must give our unanimous support to DAP. Every vote counts! Not one less!
If I am re-elected as the MP for Bukit Bintang, I will work together with other DAP elected representatives to advance our political mission to achieve democratic reforms, improved social welfare and formulation of policies that are not racially discriminative.
FREE AND FAIR ELECTIONS TO EMPOWER THE PEOPLE
· Break the dominance of BN’s 2/3 majority to ensure that Parliament is the highest decision-making body of the nation and not to allow it to degenerate into a rubber-stamp for repressive legislation moved by BN
· Revive local council elections to allow the people to elect their own councilors and mayor
· Abolish postal votes and ensure that elections are conducted in a fair and transparent manner
· Monitor the delineation of election boundaries in order to uphold the one person one vote spirit so as to avoid the present situation of BN controlling 91 per cent of the seats in Parliament despite garnering only 64% of the national votes
· Advocate the use of indelible ink to ensure the one person one vote spirit is not violated and prevent electoral fraud
ABOLISH REPRESSIVE LAWS AND FREE THE MEDIA
· Demand the repeal of the Internal Security Act, Official Secrets Act, Printing Presses and Publications Act, Police Act, Sedition Act which have suppressed the fundamental rights of the people
· Respect the people’s right to freedom of information and let the media play its role as watchdog of the government and not vice versa
REFORM THE POLICE FORCE AND ENSURE PUBLIC SECURITY
· Reform and restructure the police force so that there is proper deployment of police personnel for administrative and surveillance duties
· Increase 100,000 patrol police officers to ensure public safety to achieve the ratio of 1 police personnel for every 200 residents
· Establish the Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC) for the eradication of abuse of powers and corruption in the police force
· Set up police beat bases that are manned by police officers in every neighbourhood
EDUCATIONAL AND CULTURAL EQUALITY AND A UNITED NATION
· Abolish the bumiputra and non-bumiputra distinction, unfair quota systems, discriminatory policies and special privileges
· Replace the BN’s hegemonic policy of Ketuanan Melayu with a multi-racial, multi-cultural policy that is all-inclusive
· Demand that the government recognize the Unified Examination Certificate based on meritocracy and degrees obtained from Chinese and Taiwanese universities including Nanyang Technological University Singapore.
· Urge the government to build Chinese and Tamil schools in neighbourhoods with high density of Chinese and Indian population
· Demand that the government provide enough teaching resources and allocation of funds to vernacular schools
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT TO SAFEGUARD THE INTERESTS OF UNDER-PRIVILEGED GROUPS
· Promote sustainable development and protest against economic development which oppresses under-privilege and marginalized groups and which harms the environment
· Protest against unchecked and non-transparent privatization polices and end all the unfair privatized projects and review unfair toll concessionaire agreements which are not favourable to the people
· Abolish the Industrial Relation Act and protest against any implementation of unfair racial quotas for employment in both the private and public sectors and reduce all unnecessary bureaucratic red-tapes so as to promote free and fair competition and transparency
· Set up recreation centres for senior citizens so that they can enjoy a healthy and meaningful lifestyle in their retirement
· Allow senior citizens the privilege of free medical and health care and public transport
· Respect historical and cultural national heritage and ensure their due preservation based on the principle of respect for all races and religions
HOUSING ACCOMODATION FOR ALL AND BALANCED HOUSING DEVELOPMENT
· Provide sufficient low- and medium-cost housing to enable the lower-income groups to reside in the city area
· Promote public housing projects so that the low-income group can afford to own their own homes instead of continuing to pay rent for their homes
· Ensure that strata titles for high-rise dwellings are speedily issued so that they have their rightful legal ownership of their property
PROTEST THE IMPOSITION OF CONGESTION LEVY TO ENTER KL CITY CENTRE AND SET UP AN INTEGRATED PUBLIC TRANSPORT SYSTEM
· Strongly protest the imposition of congestion levy to enter KL city centre as this is another form of toll charge
· Integrate the various modes of transportation into one single seamless transport hub for fast and easy travel
· Link the monorail with the KL Sentral Station so that commuters can travel with convenience
· Review the intra-city transport system in order to reduce the present traffic congestion
Lastly, we hope that you will vote wisely. Support DAP and Fong Kui Lun so that the above can be realized. Just Change It. Together, we can make a difference for a better Malaysia!
My best wishes to every Malaysian for 2008 election year.
DAP Candidate for Bukit Bintang parliamentary seat, Fong Kui Lun