KUALA LUMPUR City Hall has rejected the consultant’s report submitted by the developer of the seven-storey garment warehouse in Jalan San Peng near the location of the cave-in that happened on Saturday because it was not detailed enough.Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Ahmad Fuad Ismail said it was unacceptable that no reason was given as to the cause of the Saturday cave-in.
“All we have now are speculations of what transpired at the site. Some say a burst pipe was the reason that resulted in water pressure increasing and there is also talk that the contiguous bored pile broke.“If we can’t identify the problem, then how can we fix it?” Fuad asked.
“I will not accept this report and, until I get details as to what happened that day, the stop-work order stays,” he added.The mayor added that the developer had been given 10 days to come up with a more detailed report and specifics as to what happened as well as offer solutions to rectify the problem.Fuad stressed that City Hall would not compromise on the safety of the residents.
“We want data on soil movements not just at the project site but also the entire area,” he said.“The developer gave a guarantee that the area is safe, but I cannot accept that when people’s live are at risk,” Fuad said.
The mayor also said City Hall had hired an independent engineering consultant to study the possibilities of what had caused the cave-in.Fuad added that instruments such as the inclinometer and piezometer would be placed throughout the area to study the impact of soil movements.
Meanwhile, project developer Kenanga Wholesale City Sdn Bhd said it would adhere to the mayor’s request and provide a more detailed report.“We fully support and understand his concerns as public safety is our priority, too,” Kenanga Wholesale City managing director Bernard Bong said.“There is no issue here and a detailed report will be submitted as soon as possible,” Bong added